Saturday, March 13, 2010

Economic cartoon: Jobless Recovery


I was listening to the news the other day when this cartoon struck me square in the mind. They were discussing the recovery efforts, jobless claims, unemployment benefits extensions and things of that nature when someone uttered the phrase “jobless recovery”. It hit me a somewhat of an oxymoron type of statement, like jumbo shrimp, same difference or bittersweet. Although it does not quite fit the definition of an oxymoron it struck me as one just the same. I figure all those folks out there who are looking for work and have been for a long time probably would think something alone the lines of this cartoon. Anyway, that is how this cartoon came to life as far as the drawing but the exact wording did not come to me until I finished the cartoon and these two characters kind of came to life. I would add more of there conversation but it probably wouldn’t pass a G-rating test so I will leave it as it stands. Enjoy the cartoon and have a great day.